Thursday, August 20, 2009

I Prefer Margaritas...

"I don’t always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis."

Those are the words of the most interesting man in the world. You may ask yourself, if he doesn't always drink beer, why drink beer at all? I figured out why last night.

I went out to dinner with my family to a little Mexican Restaurant in Santa Barbara - Palapa Restaurant. They have, hands down, the worst Margaritas in the world.

I've had Margaritas on 6 of the 7 continents. I've tasted the watered down disasters of Tijuana, Mexico. I drank a warm, ice-less concoction in Pusan, South Korea. I make a serious effort to drink a Margarita everywhere I go.

I wish I had a Dos Equis at Palapa.

When I ordered the margarita, the waiter warned me that it would be weak; The tequila they use is only 40 proof. It tasted like dirty water with a twist of sweaty feet. I couldn't taste the tequila at all. The waiter brought me a shot just before we left. 40 proof tequila tastes just like 80 proof - so that's not the reason it tastes so bad. It's just a horrible mix. I almost didn't finish it.

On a side note: if you ever find yourself in an Asian country trying to teach a bartender how to make a margarita, be sure to list ice as one of the ingredients.

No comments: