Friday, July 24, 2009

Cobra - Speed LD-F Drivers 2008

I GOT A NEW DRIVER!!!

I used this driver when I rented it at Riverwalk in San Diego. I sliced every single shot about 90 degrees. So why did I buy it? Because I'm crazy!! Or not.

There are some important differences. The biggest is the flex. The San Diego driver, which was a 10.5 degree, had a regular flex. I'm used to driving with my tiny little Orlimar 9 degree. A regular flex is ok with the smaller driver head. This driver head is the full 460. The regular flex opens up the club face with my normal swing.

The driver I got, a 9.5 degree, came with a stiff shaft... uh... let's call it a stiff flex. With my normal grip (closed face) and a medium to fast downswing, the extra firmness of the shaft will keep the club face perpendicular to my target line.

I hit a couple of balls and so far, so good. The contact sounds a little different but it feels nice a solid. I'm guessing that I'm getting about 15 to 20 yards of extra distance against my old, beat up Orlimar. There is a little bit of a fade in the shot but it's definitely straighter than that rental I used at Riverwalk. I can't wait to play a full round with this. I'm hoping to shave at least 5 strokes off my game.

No comments: