Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Stupid header image...

The header image at the top of the page is starting to drive me crazy. Why??? Because I'm a perfectionist and the image is not perfect. Maybe you might have noticed, maybe not. The lit light bulb has a shadow.

Of course, that's impossible.

Shadow shad·ow -noun [shad-oh] -
  • a dark figure or image cast on the ground or some surface by a body intercepting light.

Obviously, since the body intercepting light is in fact a source of light in and of itself, it cannot cast a shadow.

The reason there is a shadow is because I am not as experienced at 3D modeling and rendering as I would like to be. I think I did an OK job modeling the light bulbs and setting up the lighting and textures in 3D Studio Max. The problem I had was trying to make the 3rd light bulb look illuminated. This problem was only half solved by adding the lens flare and point source effects using Adobe Photoshop.

Photoshop is great for touching up images but it should never be used to light up the subject of a scene. The illumination effect looks great but that stupid shadow is still there. Adobe can't make that disappear without some serious, time consuming editing.

The solution is for me to learn how to illuminate a light bulb model in 3D Studio Max. I somewhat know what to do but I can't get the illumination to look as good as in Photoshop.

This is a "...to be continued" project. You'll know I have solved the problem sometime in the future when you will no doubt navigate to my thoroughly entertaining and intellectually stimulating blog and notice that the annoying shadow, which has plagued your thoughts and dreams for what seems like decades, has finally descended into the decrepit cespool known as mediocre art hell.

shadow. (n.d.). Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Retrieved October 21, 2008, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/shadow

1 comment:

All About Mei Mei said...

I think you did an awesome job! I think because you're a perfectionist, and your own worse critic you think it doesn't look good, but it does. You're an awesome artist, editor, web designer, but maybe I'm bias because I'm your wife :) Either way, I love you and think you're great!